In my expert opinion, Cogmed is the most powerful non-medication based treatment for focusing or working memory problems. Some studies have shown its effects rival the effects of medication – better yet, its effects do not depend on taking a pill, but on developing skills. Over 30,000 people worldwide have used Cogmed, and it is available in 32 countries and 10 different languages.
Cogmed can also be used as a complementary intervention alongside medication, if an individual’s treatment history indicates success with medication.
As a “Doubting Thomas”, i.e., a research scientist who favors methods that have real world credibility, I tend to remain suspicious of treatments until I see compelling research and impressive improvements in clients that justify the cost of that treatment.
Top reasons why I continue using Cogmed:
- No other non-medication based approach has a comparable amount of scientific research evidence supporting it. Evidence supporting Cogmed includes the strongest research methodology that the FDA uses – double-blind placebo-controlled studies
- Evidence supporting Cogmed exists at three levels: brain imaging, neuropsychological, and behavioral
- Targets the root of the problem in the brain by enhancing impaired neurological pathways.
In doing so, builds transportable cognitive skills vs. dependence on medication
- Vast majority of research is NOT funded by Cogmed
- Unparalleled scientific interest (in working memory area): Over 120 studies, 40 published, 80 ongoing (as of 2014)
- Leverages neuroplasticity in novel way: graded algorithm for systematically intense workouts
- Minimizes subjectivity with data analytic dashboard always viewable by anyone
- Lasting effects far beyond treatment regimen (3, 6, 9 & 12 months after often durable improvements)
What Is Cogmed?
It is an evidence-based computer training program, designed by leading neuroscientists specifically to improve attention through effectively increasing working memory abilities over several weeks. Research has shown in practical experience of Cogmed practices, 80% of users see measurable improvements. While this number can’t be a guarantee, it shows the huge potential for improvement. Research and clinical experience is indicating that the effects of Cogmed training last after training because once working memory capacity increases, you naturally continue to use it at its new level.
With any program that is individualized, each child’s unique attributes, talents, and challenges will play a critical role in the success and results of the program. This highlights the importance of working with qualified and highly-trained behavior experts and psychologists to maximize results.
Click Here to read and article in Science indicating Cogmed is most well researched cognitive rehabilitation technique
Complete the relevant form to reach out to us. We generally get back to people within 48 hours.
All potential clients MUST complete one of these forms for us to contact you. Please do NOT leave us a phone message if you are not an established client. We will not return calls from potential clients, but we do respond when the forms reach our hands.