Treatment Approach and Techniques
A full range of treatment options are available, examples of which are listed at the end of this section. Beyond this more technical information, you may want to know more about my treatment philosophy and approach.
Many professionals may offer to help you, but the question is who has the most credibility to help you in the most effective manner. Feel free to review my training and experience in clinical work and research by going to the Professional Background section.
My approach is to form a healthcare partnership with you, where we review your range of treatment options. This often involves comparing competing scientific opinions applicable to your challenges. This is where my expertise as a behavioral scientist matters critically. Competing treatments you might benenfit from are based on competing research. We weed through this competing research by evaluating the characteristics of each research study’s use of statistics and methodology.
As a psychologist who has worked with a full range of conditions (go to How and What I Assess), I have found that choosing the right treatment is only half the battle. The other challenge is how to apply that treatment in a way that meshes with your unique personality.
Your personality is composed of a totally unique combination of motivations, values, and habits, etc. For you to get better in the most efficient and sustainable way, you need a professional who can account for hidden but relevant personality factors that might get in the way. I specialize in pinpointing the hidden but powerful personality factors that may be subtly operating so that the treatment solution is sustainable.
My treatment approach include the following aspects:
- You will learn new skill sets that you will practice
- We will draw from the most advanced behavioral science methods to find the most sustainable and cost-effective solution
- We will use the most evidence-based methods
- We will use a combination of methods instead of over-reliance on one method
- You will be given as much “homework” as you want so you progress is on your terms and matches your pace
- If other practitioners are involved in your treatment, I will work in a collaborative manner so we ensure you experience continuity of care
Evidence-based treatment options include:
- Social Skills Training
- Behavioral Modification
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Exposure-Response Prevention (ERP)
- Insight-Oriented/Psychodynamic Therapy
- Progressive Relaxation
- Family Systems Therapy
- Play Therapy
- Rational-Emotive Therapy